The 2 most important factors are: Weather & Use.
A lot of homeowners & business owners wait way too long before even considering resealing their lots and driveways. You know you’re in this situation if your lot or driveway looks gray and worn out along with some cracks.
But don’t worry!
An old worn out driveway doesn’t mean you will have to spend thousands to make it look good again. Depending on your expectations!
Sealing too much and too often can cause peeling, flaking or cracking if it builds up.
Some companies may try to convince you to seal every year. We always get customers that say they were told by their previous sealcoat company that they should do it every year, we consider that the worst thing you can do.
For example, sealing every year might sound like a good idea, but in the long run, you’re most likely going to cause irreparable “damage“.
Very often what happens is you start to sandwich layers on top of each other, after about 5 years of doing this you will end up having areas of the sealcoat start to chip off and flake. Once this begins to happen its pretty much impossible to stop it from spreading across areas that are NOT under constant use.
Sealcoating and Crackfilling helps the asphalt on your driveway or parking lot in quite a few ways.
- It extends your pavements life.
- Sealing protects the tiniest cracks on the pavement from water.
- Crackfilling also prevents water from washing out the base layer under the asphalt and from ice forming in between the cracks.
- Helps prevent the sun from drying out the asphalt.
- Keeps the pavement looking fresh and new.
- Prevents high repair costs in the future.